Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

Nelson's Barbecue in Lumberton, NC

Last post 02-07-2012, 8:54 PM by porcophile. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-31-2011, 12:34 PM 395

Nelson's Barbecue in Lumberton, NC

I had the pleasure of eating at a new restaurant in Lumberton, NC, yesterday. Fabulous Eastern NC style cooked over hardwood coals. Beat any other barbecue I've had in that area. If you want a good meal, check it out!
  •  01-08-2012, 12:47 PM 396 in reply to 395

Re: Nelson's Barbecue in Lumberton, NC

Thanks for sharing. And I was just notified that the Official Grand Opening will be this Tuesday, Jan 10. Word is they cook whole hog over wood/charcoal and comes highly recommended.

You can check them out at http://nelsonsbarbecue.com/ or on Facebook at
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nelsons-Barbecue-Inc/166791383384456

If you're in the area, please stop by and share your experience!

Donald
  •  02-07-2012, 8:54 PM 400 in reply to 396

Re: Nelson's Barbecue in Lumberton, NC

My wife and I drove down to Lumberton for the grand opening last month because it's not every day that a new woodcooking barbecue place opens (and it seems like every day that one closes).  The weather was nasty, but there was a good ribbon-cutting, with some local bigwigs on hand to celebrate the 20-odd jobs the place is generating. 

The ribs and chicken were just OK, but that's not what we were there for. Side dishes were excellent -- but again, that's not what we were there for. The barbecue was pretty good, although the owner confided that he'd had to rush it.  It speaks well that he knew that, and 'fessed up.  I'm pretty confident that he'll be cooking even better pork next time I get there -- he has worked with Wilber Shirley and is basically cloning Wilber's approach (complete to cooking extra shoulders to chop in with his whole hogs). He's got great cookers -- if you go there, ask to see them.  It won't be the fault of his equipment if he doesn't make it.

Decor and music and service were absolutely great.  Andy Price, the owner-boss, is a nice young guy who has put it all on the line to bring real  barbecue to a town that hasn't had any for a long time.  I really hope folks down yonder appreciate what they've got.  There are some really stupid comments on Yelp.com from a few people who seem to think that barbecue is riblets at Appleby's.  Let's hope they're not typical Robesonians.
View as RSS news feed in XML